Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Positive

[ORIGINALLY POSTED ON MY OTHER PERSONAL BLOG ON APRIL 18, 2012]


This past Monday I stopped off at Walgreen's on the way home from work to pick up some fotos I'd ordered as a surprise gift for Reggie--he'd been wanting some prints of some nice pics of me/us we'd been taking lately. Being a week and a half late for my period I figured I'd pick up a pregnancy test while I was there too. Why not. I didn't really know what to expect, especially since I had that incident from Dec. 2011-Jan 2012 when I didn't have a period for 2 months, and I kinda wondered if that was what was happening again now.

I had to pee really bad so when I got home I went to the downstairs powder room, whipped out the test w/out having time to read the instructions (I'd taken several tests last year but knew I needed to review how to read them), put the thing on the counter aka "flat surface" as directed, and immediately I already saw 2 lines. Uh, what does that mean again? I definitely had to review the instructions.

What!!! 2 lines means PREGNANT. Wait, am I reading that right? Let me double check. Let me triple check. Oh my God. For real?!?!? Wasn't it necessary to wait 2-10 minutes to get the results??? There's a line already!!! OMG. Wow. Well.... wow. Huh. And I smiled. And I felt happy. And I thought oh wow, I wasn't planning on seeing Reggie tonite but now I MUST see him and tell him. Still, there's test #2 which I will definitely take in the morning which is when the hormones are most potent. Wow. I was excited!!!

I called him, asked him if he wanted to go for a little walk/run on the bayou and he did, so he picked me up, we scooted down the street, and we'd just started our walk when he asked if I'd started my period yet. I pulled out my phone, as I'd taken a pic of the positive pregnancy test (b/c the instructions said don't read the result after 10 min. and I was wondering if the line would disappear or something), and showed it to him. It took him a few seconds to figure out what it was. He looked at me, his jaw dropped, and I told him it was definitely a positive pregnancy test. He immediately grabbed me for a big hug and told me how much he loved me. Of course, he also immediately felt scared/overwhelmed/excited, all the "correct" emotions any man would feel upon receiving this news.

I asked him if he wanted to spend the night so he could be there in the morning when I took test #2. So we finished our walk, grabbed a calzone from a great restaurant nearby, and went to my place. I wasn't really hungry, having eaten a banana when I got home but I had a small piece of calzone and then we shared a piece of the pecan pie we made on Sunday w/Hank's ice cream. While we slept I had a dream that test #2 came up negative and I was sad but I told Reggie in the dream, "We can keep trying." Of course, in the morning I took test #2 for real and again, immediately, without waiting 2 minutes it was a double line again. Pregnant!!!

Yesterday at work I did all kinds of research on 1st trimester. I did an online due date calculator which said my due date is Dec. 22 and I was in my 5th week. I'm still not sure how that works but I feel/think I'm more in my 4th week. I made an appt with my OB/GYN for next Friday, the earliest she could see me, and she'll confirm of course.

Here were my early symptoms:
  1. A week and a half late/possibly almost 2 weeks late on my period
  2. When Reggie and I went to Rockport 2 weekends ago I was EXHAUSTED and slept hours and hours both on Friday night and Saturday night when we were there, but also on Sunday night back at home and on Monday night as well. That was kinda strange and very unusual for me to sleep that many hours 4 nights in a row. 
  3. I've been feeling this strange cramping for the past week and a half 1-3 times/day that made me wonder if my period was about to start, but it never did. 
  4. Those annoying 3-4 lbs that I have (that every woman has) that comes and goes, comes and goes, came about 2 weeks ago and never left.
  5. My tits have been sore as well, again leading me to believe my period was about to start, but it never did. 
  6. About 4-5 times over the past week and a half I've felt a couple of seconds of nausea after eating, mostly in the afternoon. Again, this never happens to me.
 All day yesterday I was so happy and excited. Last night at the gig I asked Chopper to please not smoke onstage (told him I was "coming down with something" which is quite true!). And no more booze for me--AT ALL. (Reggie got me a Diet Coke from the bar and I kept calling it my "funky juice" [what I call my drink of choice, Crown & Diet] so Paul & Chopper wouldn't be suspicious.) I've told a couple of friends my period was late but for now have only told my brother and my girlfriend Jess about the positive tests. Reggie doesn't want to tell anyone else until after the Dr. appt next week and I've agreed to honor his request, though it's HARD. I want to go ahead and record what's going on with me b/c this is one of the most significant things to ever happen to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment